Want to flaunt lusciously gorgeous mane? So what’s coming in your way? Most women will complain that hair breakage has turned their life into hell and combating it has become an everyday annoying issue. Most of us frequently experience bad hair days and the root cause are hair breakage and split ends. How heart-breaking is it to watch the crowning glory bidding you farewell? All of us want to combat hair breakage and that’s why in today’s article, we will tell you about what works well in stopping hair breakage. Have a look at these remedies and get rid of this major hair problem.
What is Hair Breakage?
To set to right in the beginning, hair breakage is not “split ends.” Most of us confuse hair breakage with split ends, but hair breakage is actually a bigger version of split ends. It happens when the shafts of your hair break (not necessarily from the roots), resulting in shorter hair strands. Hair breakage can occur anywhere, but it’s especially common to see it around the mid-shaft and face-framing bits of hair. This happens when your hair is dull, unruly and damaged and lacks nourishment.
What Causes Hair Breakage?
In order to fight hair breakage, one should know the root causes of what is responsible for your hair breaking off. Let’s take a brief overview:
- Rough handling of hair due to incorrect brushing, teasing, rough combing of wet hair.
- Causing pressure on the hair by tying it tightly with hair elastics or hair clips.
- Hair coloring also causes hair breakage as your hair cuticle gets exposed in the process.
- Chemical treatments such hair straightening, perming or rebonding.
- Excessive use of styling tools.
- Exposure to the harmful rays of sun.
What is Good to Stop Hair Breakage?
- Keratin care: If you want to go for chemical treatments to tackle hair breakage, them keratin care is one of the commonly suggested methods by any hair stylist. Our hair quality gets degraded due to lack of keratin which is a protein responsible for determining hair health. Keratin treatment supplies the hair with keratin and rebuilds it from the inside. As a result, hair becomes strong, smooth and supple. It works for all hair types and helps in preventing hair breakage. Other than that, you can also use shampoos and conditioners that come enriched with keratin to prevent hair breakage.
- Vitamins: Another way to stop hair breakage is to supply your hair with essential vitamins. Vitamins C, D3, and biotin are really known to improve the texture of your hair. They help to supply blood and nutrition to the hair follicles. Vitamin C plays a significant role in the production of collagen, vitamin D3 helps in the production of the component that makes up your hair, called keratin, biotin is essential for hair growth. So, you can take vitamin supplements that makes up for these essential hair nutrients. You can also have them directly by consuming foods that are rich in such vitamins.
- Onion juice: Onion is known to prevent hair fall and encourage newer hair growth. It also acts as an important agent in preventing hair breakage. All that you have to do is extract juice from an onion by cutting and chopping it down. This sulfur-rich vegetable strengthens your hair roots from within and prevents breakage by making them strong. Apply its juice directly onto the scalp, keep it for 30 minutes and then wash it off.
- Olive oil and mayonnaise pack: If you have loved Mayo with your favourite sandwich or pizza, it’s time to love it for controlling your hair breakage issues. This yummy kitchen ingredient can be added to your hair care routine in the form of a mask and the end results are fabulous. Mix some mayonnaise with some olive oil and white vinegar to make a smooth mask. Apply it on your hair directly and let it rest till it dries off. To rinse it properly, remove with carbonated water. The powerful mixture of these two acts as a natural alternative to a conditioner and nourishes your hair thoroughly. The white vinegar will prevent them from entangling and breaking easily.
- Hot oil massage: Our hair suffers badly due to lack of nutrition which ultimately causes hair breakage. Don’t worry, you can reverse the damaging effects of hair breakage by indulging in a nourishing hot oil hair massage. The key is to use coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil or any other oil. Not only does it moisturize your hair and repair it from further damage, but it also prevents hair breakage. To make it more helpful, also add some vitamin E. Massage your hair thoroughly with some warm oil and cover your hair with a towel. Then go off to sleep and wash your hair in the morning.
- Egg mask: Eggs make any dish yummy, similarly they can also help to make your hair look lustrous. Believe us or not, a healthy preparation of freshly made egg mask can set all your hair woes away. Eggs help to condition your hair and prevent them from breaking easily. Using this powerful mask with other natural remedies can easily tackle hair breakage. Add some eggs with essential oils in a bowl, mix them well till they combine and apply on your hair. Let it sit for an hour and then wash it off. You could also mix eggs with henna and apply that for a distinct color in your hair.
- Argan Oil: We all are quite aware of the benefits of argan oil for hair. Argan oil is a rich source of vitamins A, C, and E and has antioxidant properties. Its usefulness in protecting your hair from damage and breakage can’t be denied. It has a healthy combination of linoleic acid and omega-6 fatty acids which help to moisturize your strands and keep them healthy.
- Aloe vera hair mask: Impressed with the results of aloe vera on your skin? Now it’s time to test it on your hair. Aloe vera has moisturizing, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which prevent dandruff and hair breakage. You can either make aloe vera gel on your own or use some market available aloe vera gels. Mix equal portions of aloe vera with some essential oil thoroughly and apply it to your hair and scalp. Allow it to rest for 30 minutes and then wash it off. Applying aloe vera gel alone is also equally beneficial to your strands.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Do you know that when your hair pH gets disturbed, you can experience hair breakage? An easy solution to adjust hair pH is to use apple cider vinegar on your scalp and hair. ACV maintains the pH of your scalp due to the presence of acetic acid in it. This prevents hair damage and also prevents breakage issues. Take 1-2 tablespoons of ACV and mix it with water, apply it onto your scalp after shampooing. You can do this once or twice a week.
- Banana hair mask: A nutritious hair mask made from the fresh pulp of bananas can change the quality of your hair in no time. This is because bananas are rich in proteins, fats and potassium. This helps to strengthen your hair and prevent them from breaking too easily. Mash some ripened bananas and blend them with some olive oil and honey. Apply this mask to your hair and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Now wash your hair thoroughly. This remedy will leave you with thick, glossy hair.
- Avocado Hair mask: Avocado, due to its nourishing properties has proven to reap benefits in stopping hair breakage. It comes rich in vitamins and minerals and thereby acts as a natural conditioner for your hair. The presence of omega-3 fatty acids repairs damage and ensures that you can flaunt lustrous mane. Peel an avocado and take the pulp out of it, mix with egg yolk and blend them well, apply it on your strands from roots to tips, massage gently. Let it remain for 20 minutes, then you can rinse your hair and shampoo as usual.
- Trim the ends of your hair: To prevent frayed hair ends, it is essential to trim the ends of your hair every 6-8 weeks. It helps to get rid of tips that have broken off, making the hair look fresh and healthy again. Since the tips and lengths are subjected to a lot of stress, they have to be given extra care. Apply some hair serum to moisturize dry tips, this will prevent them from breaking off easily.
- Gentle combing: Since hair breakage mainly arises from rash combing of hair or running brush on wet hair, you should always be careful to brush your hair gently. This avoids pulling already tangled strands even tighter and tearing small hair knots, teaching you how to stop hair from breaking.
- Reduce use of styling tools: Heat caused due to usage of styling tools sucks out the moisture out of the strands. You must try to limit the use of these styling gadgets as far as possible. To reduce the actual heat damage from your styling tools, select ceramic versions as these heat up more evenly so you don’t have to keep using them on the same sections of hair repeatedly. You should also use a heat protectant to save your hair from getting damaged.
Hair breakage might have bothered you a lot, but not anymore! With all these expert tips and tricks, you can surely give your hair a makeover. And they don’t take much of your time. As a top priority, you must ensure that you not stressed as stress hampers the quality of your hair. Other than that, pay attention to your diet and as always natural remedies are the best to tackle any hair or skin woe. We have listed out ample number of ingredients that are really good for stopping hair breakage. Try to include them in your routine, follow the right ways to brush your hair, avoid styling tools and as always be gentle to your hair. A little care on your part can set you on your journey towards beautiful and healthy hair. All the best!